The Australian Renewable Energy Mapping Infrastructure (AREMI) project
The Australian Renewable Energy Mapping Infrastructure (AREMI) project is being developed to share mapping data and information with the renewable energy industry. The mapping platform is being developed by CSIRO's Data61, Australia’s Centre of Excellence in Information and Communication Technology Research and Development.
- Lead organisation:
- CSIRO's Data61
- Project partners:
- ARENA , Geoscience Australia , Clean Energy Council
- Canberra, ACT
- Renewable energy industry capacity building
- ARENA program:
- Emerging Renewables Program
- Start date:
- August 2014
A large amount of mapping data and information relevant to the renewable energy industry is currently collected and housed by different agencies and institutions. However, there is no central source for this information and finding it can be time consuming and challenging.
The AREMI project will consolidate data currently housed by multiple organisations such as Geoscience Australia, the Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO.
The AREMI project will be developed using the Cesium platform developed by Data61 – an open source, internet browser based visualisation platform. It will be possible for multiple data sets to be displayed and compared. For example, map tiles from Google, elevation data from Geoscience Australia and solar resource data from the Bureau of Meteorology.
The AREMI project will contribute directly to the ARENA knowledge sharing activities and priorities.
The project will provide a centrally accessible repository for ARENA project information and a portal for $15 million of ARENA-funded mapping projects. Renewable energy project developers will be able to freely access spatial information such as ground measurements and existing infrastructure to assist with site identification.
The mapping platform will also:
- Enable users to store and access geospatial data and information from multiple sources.
- Allow users to search and visualise multiple data layers in 3D, and to produce and export high resolution maps.
- Provide enabling tools and information to boost development and deployment of renewable energy in Australia.
- AREMI map
- Network Opportunity Mapping
- Project details (NICTA)
- Demo video
- Media release – 9 October 2014: One stop shop for renewables mapping data
- Ana Belgun, Project Officer, NICTA
- +612 6267 6261