Development of an Australian solar map
This project involves the development of an interactive live solar photovoltaic (PV) map that tracks the uptake and impact of PV across Australia.
- Lead organisation:
- Australian Photovoltaic Institute (participants University of NSW, CAT Projects, Sunwiz, SMA)
- Project partners:
- Central University of New York, Office of Spatial Policy, Clean Energy Regulator
- US, NSW
- Solar energy
- ARENA program:
- Former Australian Solar Institute initiatives and programs
- Start date:
- September 2012
There is a lack of understanding of solar PV potential, performance and impact on electricity systems across different regions of Australia.
This type of data is required to inform investment and system design decisions, and for the planning and management of distributed energy.
The live solar PV map tracks the uptake and impact of PV across Australia, to help inform research and investment decisions.
The map incorporates:
- information on how much PV is installed in Australia including estimated electricity generated each year and in which locations (identified by postcode)
- market data and trends
- historical and live performance data covering all main climate regions in Australia, with contribution to Australia’s load by electricity market region.
The map will undergo further enhancements over 2014 including the addition of a geographic information system (GIS)-based tool for assessing PV potential in urban environments, accounting for available roof area, tilt, orientation and shading.
This project has provided increased awareness, confidence and information about PV capacity and performance. It provides access to data that can be used to conduct high quality research related to photovoltaics markets, performance, reliability and integration with energy markets and networks.
The information can also be used to better understand the factors that contribute to cost reduction, quality and reliability of PV electricity.
Media release – 29 April 2015: Prestigious award for Australian Solar Mapping Tools
News item – 22 April 2015: Popular live solar map upgraded
Media release – 29 July 2014: New 3D rooftop modelling tool highlights solar savings
Media release – 24 January 2014: New interactive map sheds light on Australian solar power
Australian PV Institute: Live solar PV map
- Renate Egan, UNSW (Chair)