At ARENA we love to innovate, which is why we are launching a new A-Lab initiative. We are seeking teams from across Australia to apply to attend our invitation-only event, A-Lab Incubate 2018, in Melbourne on 21-23 November 2018.
Incubate 2018 is a three day working session for teams to develop high-impact, innovative projects that help accelerate Australia’s transition to a renewable energy future.
Up to ten teams will be invited to participate, to develop new projects, trials and other initiatives that drive systemic innovation across ARENA’s investment priorities.
Participating teams will be supported by A-Lab facilitators and other experts to enhance the quality of their ideas, enable cross-sector collaboration and accelerate the process of taking concepts through to delivery. Teams will also have the opportunity to receive advice on appropriate funding models and financing options.
How to apply
Read the four sections below before applying.
1. About Incubate 2018
Innovation labs tackle large-scale, complex, whole of system challenges, particularly those with strong social impact elements.
They are used in business, community and government contexts across the globe to drive systemic change through exploring, developing and testing new ideas quickly.
At Incubate 2018 we will help teams to transform ideas and concepts into customer and investment ready projects, trials and initiatives.
ARENA will do this by:
- high impact, innovative projects that require collaborative approaches for success
- a diversity of projects and participants
- intensive expert assistance for teams to test the value proposition for customers and end users, to build compelling project proposals and achieve “investment readiness”
- direct access to potential funders, experts and industry representatives who can advise on appropriate funding models and financing options
Enhancing and accelerating:
- project team formation around great projects that need funding
- the formulation of projects’ objectives, scope, scale and impact
2. Application guidelines
We are seeking teams comprising of four to seven people representing multiple project stakeholders and partners who are, or wish to, work up ideas that align with one of the following ARENA investment priorities:
- Delivering secure & reliable electricity – ideas that drive innovation in the ways we use, store, manage and share renewable electricity
- Improving energy productivity – ideas that could drive innovative and efficient energy use and adoption of renewable energy across industry, the built environment or transport
- Exporting renewable energy – ideas to embed renewable energy in large scale export value chains
Further detail on ARENA’s investment priorities can be found in our Investment Plan (PDF 200KB).
Project development stages
Projects in Incubate 2018 can be in their infancy, developed, or well-underway.
Teams should be clear about the benefit a three-day, intensive incubation process will bring to their project’s development and impact. The incubate process may ultimately result in an ARENA grant funding application or identification of another source of funding, or it may support the progression of the project without the need for additional funding.
Note. Participation in Incubate 2018 is not a prerequisite for ARENA funding, nor does participation in Incubate 2018 guarantee ARENA grant funding for your project. If you already have a well thought through project and are ready to apply for ARENA grant funding or email email@example.com for further information.
3. Team composition
Incubate 2018 is open to participants from all backgrounds. Teams including early stage companies, industry, researchers, technology developers, investors, policy makers and customers are encouraged to apply.
A-Lab aims to drive systemic innovation – we believe the best way to accelerate the transition to renewable energy is through better collaboration across the system.
Teams should have a variety of participants – if you have a gap in your proposed team, tell us and we will do our best to assist.
The most important criteria are teams who seek to:
- Create and share new knowledge;
- Build or be engaged in collaborative communities; and
- Drive systemic change.
4. Application process
To apply to attend Incubate 2018 please submit your application through the application portal. Submissions are due by 5.00 pm on Tuesday, 9 October 2018. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the application you will be required to answer the questions listed below, and upload a concept diagram that illustrates your idea plus a one minute pitch video explaining the project and issues to be solved.
Your project concept
- Project title
- Please upload a 60 second pitch video. Make it snappy! Consider using “The Gaddie Pitch” or something similar to convey your message
- Upload a concept diagram that illustrates your core idea
Problem definition and solution
- Details of your project and the problem it solves – what are you doing, and why is it important? (500 words)
- What about your project idea delights the customer, end user or other beneficiaries? (250 words)
- What is the key value or positive impact your project will generate for renewable energy in Australia? (250 words)
- Which ARENA investment priority does your project most closely align to?
Your team and network
- Who are the project stakeholders and partners? (100 words)
- Who are the four to seven individuals in the team you are nominating from across this group to represent your project? Please provide name, email and role in the project?
- Are there any skills gaps, or stakeholders you need greater access to? (250 words)
Value of Incubate 2018 to your team
- What traction have you had to date or what stage of development are you up to? This is so we can shape our program to meet your needs. (tick all that apply – concept developed, market or customer testing, working prototype built, internal approval secured to progress project, some capital raised or funding secured, small scale pilot delivered, first commercial deployment complete)
- What do you want to get out of A-Lab Incubate 2018? (250 words)
- What excites you about your proposal? (100 words)