Home > Eligibility and Alignment Tool
ARENA provides grant funding for innovative, high merit projects that involve a renewable technology or enabling technology. This self-assessment tool should take no longer than 5 minutes. It will let you will know if you are eligible to apply for ARENA funding and if your proposed project aligns with ARENA’s Investment Priorities and the Advancing Renewables Program (ARP) outcomes.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can request an ARENA representative contact you to discuss your project and provide more detailed feedback on the likely merit of your proposal.
The answers you provide in this assessment are not legally binding. They serve as a guide to understand the basic requirements for submitting an application under the Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines.
Information of a confidential nature provided by you as part of this process will be treated by ARENA as confidential, as set out in the Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines (PDF 2MB).
1. ABN: As you do not hold a valid ABN, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
1b. Organisation: As your entity is not consistent with a type that’s required by ARENA, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
3. Project: Your project may not meet the innovation requirements as ARENA funding is predominantly used for technology or business models that are new and/or innovative, or is a new application of an existing technology.
4. Technology: As you do not meet ARENA’s renewable energy technology requirements, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
5. Validation: As your project and/or technology is at an early developmental stage, your project will not be eligible for ARENA's Advancing Renewables Program. ARENA's R&D Program provides funding for earlier stage technology development; however, is only open for specific, themed funding rounds, announced on the ARENA website.
6. Location: As your project does not take place primarily within Australia, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
7. Overseas expenditure: As your overseas expenditure exceeds 10%, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
8. Knowledge sharing: As you do not meet ARENA’s knowledge sharing requirements, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
9. Intellectual property: As you do not meet ARENA’s intellectual property requirements, it appears you are not eligible to apply for ARENA funding.
You may wish to consider the following agencies/resources who may be able to assist:
- Australian Research Council (ARC) (The ARC provides grant funding to eligible research and academic institutions to support research and development activities)
- Clean Energy Innovation Fund
- Clean Energy Finance Corporation (Concessional finance for Energy Efficiency applications and large commercial applications)
- Clean Energy Council (General industry information)
- Emissions Reduction Fund
- Clean Energy Regulator (Renewable Energy Target certificates)
- Federal Government grants (other available grants)
10. Activity: Based on your response, it appears your project is not closely aligned with ARENA’s priorities and/or program objectives and may not be considered high merit.
11. Please have this information available when speaking with ARENA about your project.
12. Your project may not be considered high merit if it does not meet ARENA’s investment priorities.
13. Your project may not be considered high merit if it requires more than 50% of funding from Australian Government sources.
14. Your project may not be considered high merit if it requires over 50% of funding from ARENA.
15. Your project may not be considered high merit if there is no clear pathway to commercialisation (i.e. where ongoing financial sustainability can be achieved without external funding).
Based on your responses, your proposed project may be eligible for ARENA Funding.
Please provide your contact details so a member of the Business Development and Transactions team can discuss the proposal with you.
If you would like to find out more about ARENA and its funding, visit the Funding Programs page.
Famous for its pristine coral reefs, rugged volcanic peaks and species of plants and animals found nowhere else on each, the World Heritage listed Lord Howe Island is about to embark on a major energy transformation.
Tens of thousands of electric vehicles are predicted to hit Australian roads within five years under a new program launched today to assist fleet buyers.
Manufacturing the products we rely on in our day-to-day lives is an energy hungry business.