How to Apply for Funding
Commercialisation of Research & Development Funding Initiative Pilot
The translation of R&D into real world impact is not straight forward, and researchers can have difficulty in obtaining funding for commercialisation activities as investors often require commercial analysis or a prototype before financial support will be considered.
An increase in support at this early stage could see an increase in the number of solutions being developed across the next decade to help accelerate Australia’s shift to affordable and reliable renewable energy.
To assist the translation process, ARENA will later this year offer up to $1 million in kick-start funding grants of $100K each, for projects of up to one year, to advance the development of a commercially viable product from renewable energy technology developed through R&D. Activities that may be considered for funding include:
- prototype development and trials
- market research and customer analysis
- techno-economic analysis
- development of a market entry and market uptake strategy.
All renewable energy technologies, including hybrid and enabling technologies, will be eligible to apply. However, they must have achieved a Technology Readiness Level of at least 4 (PDF 80KB).
- Commercialisation of Research & Development Funding Initiative Pilot (PDF 275KB) | (DOCX 131KB)
- Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot (PDF 168KB)
The following is a list of the successful applicants and projects:
R&D Funding Initiative Pilot
ARENA’s Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot has been designed in conjunction with CSIRO’s ON Prime program. Interested applicants must participate in ON Prime, which closed for applications on 4 March 2019. ARENA is evaluating the success of this pilot to consider if further rounds will be run.
As part of ON Prime, ARENA will also run a national, one-day renewable energy commercialisation workshop. At this workshop, teams will meet leaders and experts in the renewable energy sector, including industry representatives and potential commercialisation partners. ARENA will make available additional grant support to eligible participants to attend this workshop, please refer to the Renewable Energy Commercialisation Workshop Participation Scheme Guidelines & Letter Agreement (PDF 100KB).
The Commercialisation of R&D Funding Initiative Pilot will be open to applicants from Monday 5 August to 9:00am AEST Thursday 5 September 2019.
ARENA ON Prime & Funding Information Sessions
Single Stage Application
Your application must include the following mandatory attachments include –
- Project Plan (10 page maximum)
- Risk Management Plan
- Organisational Work Health & Safety Management System Plan
- A Compliance Table outlining any non-compliances with ARENA’s Funding Agreement
- Applicants should also note the knowledge sharing requirements for this initiative, outlined in the Knowledge Sharing Plan.