ARENA is allocating up to $10 million of funding towards activities focused on 5-minute ahead self-forecasting for wind and solar farms operating in the National Electricity Market (NEM).
This round is now closed.
ARENA is no longer accepting EOIs.
Funding guide information
|Short Term Forecasting Funding Announcement Guide
Short Term Forecasting Announcement Guide (PDF 142KB) (DOCX 51KB)
Applicants will be required to submit forecasts into a new IT interface to be deployed by the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) in 2018 that will facilitate self-forecasting by wind and solar Market Semi-scheduled Generators.
- EOIs opened 12pm AEDT Wednesday 28 March 2018
- EOIs closed 5pm AEST Wednesday 9 May 2018
- Webinar Information Session for prospective applicants 1pm – 2pm AEDT, Monday 9 April
- Successful applicants notified Thursday 14 June 2018.
Application guidance documents
Use these documents to assist with your application
- Returnable Schedule (PDF 422KB) | (DOCX 245KB)
- Budget and Funding Sources form (XLSX 51KB) | (PDF 48KB)
- Compliance table template (PDF 66KB) | (DOCX 142KB)
- Declaration of Compliance for Construction Activity template (PDF 118KB) | (DOCX 98KB)
- Intellectual Property Management Plan template (PDF 79KB) | (DOCX 57KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan template for Short Term Forecasting (XLSX 499KB)
- Risk Management Plan template (PDF 187KB) | (DOCX 78KB)
- ARP Funding Guidelines (PDF 2MB)
- Funding Agreement template (PDF 1MB) | (DOCX 364KB)
- Short Term Forecasting Funding Round FAQ’s (PDF 247KB) (DOCX 65KB)
- ARENA Variation Policy (PDF 89KB) | (DOCX 65KB)
- Estimating costs of electricity (PDF 161KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- Technology Readiness Level (PDF 150KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- ARENA Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Method and Guidance (Final Draft, PDF 1MB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan guidance (PDF 114KB)
ARENA & AEMO Resources
- [Webinar Video Part 1: Introduction & Strategic Context]
- [Webinar Video Part 2: Application & Assessment Process]
- [Webinar Video Part 3: Open Q&A]
- Download the information session slides (PDF 1MB)
- Read the Short Term Forecasting Media Release
- Access ARENA’s insights from the February 17 self-forecasting Technologies workshop (PDF 1MB)
About Short Term Forecasting
In partnership with the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), ARENA is seeking to demonstrate how wind and solar farms can provide accurate forecasts of their output into AEMO’s central dispatch system.
At present, AEMO is responsible for forecasting how much electricity will be generated by Market Semi-scheduled Generators (wind and solar), the output of which varies depending on weather and time of day.
As a part of this trial, wind and solar farms will be able to submit their own forecasts to AEMO, in place of central forecasts. Through supported projects, ARENA will explore the value proposition for Market Semi-scheduled Generators to invest in forecasting approaches.
This funding announcement follows on from the self-forecasting technologies workshop jointly hosted by AEMO and ARENA on the 15th of February 2018. See the ‘read more’ section below for workshop materials.
For more information: