Regional Australia Microgrid Pilot Program
Regional Australia Microgrid Pilot ProgramIn October 2020, the Australian Government announced $2.47 billion in funding for measures that aim to lower energy prices, reduce emissions and boost the economy.As part of this initiative, the Program has been allocated $50 million over six years (2020-21 to 2025-26) to support pilot projects for microgrids in regional Australia. The Program aims to support microgrid projects that:Back to top
Round 1 of the Program will be a non-competitive, open process expected to be launched in the second half of 2021.
- Have been found to be feasible through a feasibility study or equivalent investigation
- Include the deployment of equipment and technology solutions that enable the microgrid demonstration
- Demonstrate improved resilience and reliability of microgrids in regional areas
- Are capable of resolving remaining barriers to final investment and full deployment.
Information sessionsWe hosted two virtual information sessions on 16 and 18 June 2021 which gathered input from stakeholders on the objectives and design of the Program and provided an opportunity to ask questions.
View the session slides (PDF 792KB)
Ongoing stakeholder consultation & feedbackWe seek input from relevant stakeholders on the design of the Program with experience in the following areas until 2 July 2021:
- Design or deployment of microgrids
- Energy grid regulation
- Microgrid technical solutions
- Regional and remote community engagement
- Commercial microgrid incentives.