This Advisian Wind and Solar Forecasting Lessons Learnt Report outlines the key learnings Advisian has learnt in the period from April 2019 – October 2019 in regard to their involvement in the ARENA Short Term Forecasting trial.
Advisian Wind and Solar Forecasting for the NEM Project key learnings
- Multiple Contracting Entities: This ARENA project is a joint initiative with our power generation partner Palisade and Monash University requiring contracts to be established between the parties prior to commencing work. This added additional complexity to the contracting phase.
- Finalising T&C’s: Delays in finalising the ARENA contract and subsequent delays in finalising the terms and conditions for partner subcontracts resulted in a late start to the project which required milestone dates to amended.
Equipment Procurement & Installation
- Delivery Lead Times: Sky cameras for the Solar farm were ordered early in the project but had significantly longer lead times that previously estimated.
- Work Priorities: The solar farm was only recently commissioned, and the site was very busy with post construction and start-up activities. This meant that camera installation and commissioning was delayed as other work took priority.
- SCADA Integration: Incorporation of the SCADA data into models requires integration with the SCADA system. We were able to work with the Palisade instrument team to identify a suitable method for SCADA data integration, and our Edge Device software natively supports the integration protocol chosen.