Solar energyProject Proa Analytics Solar Forecasts
This Proa Analytics Solar Forecasting Lessons Learnt Report outlines the key learnings between the period April 2020 – October 2020.
This is the third public Lessons Learnt report from the ARENA funded Innovative Optimally Combined Solar Forecasts Project. As part of this project, Proa is demonstrating its solar forecasting services at three NEM solar farms in the three main climate zones of the NEM:
- Tropical: Kidston Solar Project (QLD) in partnership with owner and operator Genex Power
- Sub-tropical: Oakey 1 Solar Farm (QLD) in partnership with owner and operator Oakey 1 Asset Company.
- Temperate: Bannerton Solar Project (VIC) in partnership with owner and operator ForesightAustralia.
This project will continue until January 2021. As the project progresses, we continue to learn more about self-forecasting in the NEM and techniques to increase forecast accuracy. This Knowledge Sharing report is intended to share some of the Lessons Learnt during the project, noting that this is an interim report. The Lessons Learnt presented here include:
- Commercial: Financial optimisation of self-forecasts
- Technical: Importance and challenges of cloud dynamics modelling
- Logistical: A new automatic self-cleaning system for skycams.