ARENA is allocating up to $7 million of funding towards activities focused on the provision of power system security and strength services from innovative methods or technologies that are non-traditional sources of those services. Methods and technologies must be applicable to electricity system scenarios with high shares of renewable energy.
How to apply for this funding announcement
1. Read the funding announcement
|System Services Funding Announcement
System Services Funding Announcement (PDF 144KB) (DOCX 340KB)
ARENA is seeking demonstration projects that provide a proof-of-concept of one or more power system services in the context of increasing shares of renewable energy.
2. Observe the key dates
- EOIs open Tuesday 15 May 2018
- EOIs close Tuesday 31 July 2018 at 5pm AEST or until funding allocation is exhausted
- Seeking projects that can deliver results in or before 31 December 2019
- Note that pending market need and funded projects in this stage of assessment, there may be a future funding opportunity later in 2018.
3. Submit your application
Use these documents to assist with your application
- ARP Funding Guidelines (PDF 2MB)
- Funding Agreement template (PDF 1MB) (DOCX 364KB)
- System Services Funding Announcement (PDF 144KB) (DOCX 340KB)
– scope, objectives & merit criteria
- System Services FAQ’s (PDF 104KB) (DOCX 59KB)
– further guidance on potential project design and application process
About System Security Services
In recent years, power system security has been a key focus of industry regulators, the market operator and market participants. Security incidents and energy security have been the subject of the Finkel Review and are increasingly relevant as the power system transforms from a system dominated by centralised synchronous generators to a system with more diversified generation sources with less synchronous generation. Higher shares of renewable energy and the retirement of thermal generators increases power system variability while also offering new opportunities for renewable and battery technologies to provide new system services.
ARENA has supported novel applications of wind technology to provide Frequency Control Ancillary Services (FCAS) at Hornsdale and Musselroe Wind Farms and continues to seek innovative provisions of system services from new sources and technologies.