ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Program supports a broad range of development, demonstration and pre-commercial deployment projects that can deliver affordable and reliable renewable energy for Australian families and businesses.
Objective and outcomes
The program’s objective is to fund activities that contribute to one or more of the following outcomes:
- reduction in the cost of renewable energy
- increase in the value delivered by renewable energy
- improvement in technology readiness and commercial readiness of renewable energy
- reduction in or removal of barriers to renewable energy uptake
- increased skills, capacity and knowledge relevant to renewable energy
Availability: This fund is open to applications for all activities identified in the ARENA Investment Plan, except the competitive rounds. Applications for the competitive activities are accepted during competitive rounds.
Download ARENA’s ARP Guidelines (PDF 1MB)
Eligible project activities involve renewable energy technology or methods that can contribute to our program outcomes. The eligibility and merit criteria for this program are outlined in our Program Guidelines.
The renewable energy technologies may include hybrid technologies and technologies that are related to renewable energy technologies (including enabling technologies). The renewable energy methods can include desktop studies and analysis.
Applicants need to be incorporated under the Corporations Act(Cth) unless they are applying for funding for desktop studies and analysis that do not include research (TRL 1-3). Unincorporated entities such as universities and not-for-profits can also partner with an incorporated entity to help deliver a pilot, demonstration or pre-commercial deployment activity, where this activity is led by the incorporated entity.
- How to apply
Application attachments and guidance documents
ARENA has recently updated its funding agreement for the ARP Program. The Desktop Studies and Projects templates have been replaced with ARENA’s new Standard Funding Agreement. This funding agreement is of course subject to any further amendments that ARENA may consider necessary, depending on the nature of the project.
- Returnable Schedule (PDF 420KB) | (DOCX 193KB)
- Budget and Funding Sources form (XLSX 51KB) | (PDF 48KB)
- Compliance table template (PDF 66KB) | (DOCX 142KB)
- Declaration of Compliance for Construction Activity template (PDF 118KB) | (DOCX 98KB)
- Intellectual Property Management Plan template (PDF 79KB) | (DOCX 57KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan template (PDF 333KB) | (DOCX 195KB)
- Risk Management Plan template (PDF 187KB) | (DOCX 78KB)
ARENA and the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) have awarded funding to ten pilot projects under the demand response initiative to manage electricity supply during extreme peaks.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedPrioritising financial support for flexible capacity and large-scale energy storage.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedAssess the life cycle impacts of bioenergy (including biofuel) projects, with a view to reviewing and expanding this scope to encompass other renewable energy technologies in the ARENA portfolio in due courseClassification: Funding roundAvailable: Closed