System security and reliabilityProject Project EDGE (Energy Demand and Generation Exchange)
This Executive Summary presents key findings from the Project EDGE CBA demonstrating that a coordinated market-based approach to DER integration in the NEM will be crucial to success.
Currently, several barriers prevent DER value from being maximised across the NEM, including:
- Overly conservative and static export limits that result in the curtailment of DER (e.g., lost export)
- Fragmented market frameworks for coordination of active DER, restricting the ability to provide both wholesale and local network services from the same DER portfolio
- Lack of standardisation in terms of DER data exchange which limits the scalability of DER
- Limited visibility of active DER minimises situational awareness and forward-looking operational and network planning for the Market
Operator and DNSPs
- Social license challenges, for example obtaining consumer permission to allow third party control of their active DER.