This report details the modelled performance of the grid-forming inverters, the differences from grid-following inverters, and the potential to improve system strength fo the Broken Hill battery. The report details the modelling methodology and outcomes as well as the experience achieving the grid connection approvals.
This System Strength Modelling Knowledge Sharing report focusses specifically on detailing the modelled performance of the grid-forming inverters, how their modelled performance differs from grid-following inverters, and how their use has the potential to improve system strength in the Broken Hill BESS Project, including:
- The modelling methodologies,
- Overview of the results and their implications
- Experience achieving grid connection approvals including the results of AEMO’s Full
- Overview on how the Project’s expected system strength performance will be further
verified during operations.
- Conclusions relating to the potential for grid-forming inverters to be used to address
system strength challenges.