This final project report shares the assessment of the feasibility of using biomass as a source of fuel carbon in DICE (direct injection carbon engine), to produce electricity with low greenhouse gas emissions for the overall fuel cycle.
This report gives research findings on Milestones 1 and 2, which comprise overlapping activities, and which include:
- The production of chars (pine and nitens) to optimise fuel properties
- A Business Case
- Detailed results of a 40 hour engine combustion test using a diesel fuel doped to simulate ash forming constituents
- 500h equivalent injection test using a test injector nozzle on a spray bench
- Progress on techno-economic model to quantify the economic and CO2 benefits of bioDICE for the Business Case
- BioDICE concept plant design including equipment sizing and cost estimates
- Evidence of engagement with and identification of potential commercialisation partners.