The Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) hosted a workshop on 11 December 2019 to define the key priorities of the EV Grid Integration Working Group in 2020 and beyond.
The Electric Vehicle Grid Integration Working Group is considering how a growing number of electric vehicles can best be integrated into Australia’s electricity system.
Our purpose is to:
- provide a central forum for key industry and government stakeholders to collaborate and coordinate EV activities
- approach EVs from an energy sector perspective but with transport and infrastructure partners
- promote policy and regulatory development before wide scale EV adoption begins.
We have undertaken a discovery phase to identify risks and opportunities, potential high priority actions and related pieces of work. This phase concluded with a workshop in December 2019, which aimed to:
- prioritise EV opportunities and issues
- agree on areas of focus for the working group
- begin establishing task forces and foundations of the 2020 work plan.
We are currently considering the outcomes of the workshop and designing the task forces to be implemented in 2020.
The EV Grid Integration Working Group was established to help integrate EVs into Australia’s energy system and markets. It also forms a workstream under the Distributed Energy Integration Program (DEIP) – a collaboration of 11 market bodies aimed at maximising the value of distributed energy resources for all energy users.