Bioenergy and energy from wasteProject East Rockingham Waste to Energy
This Lessons Learnt Report discusses the hurdles faced during the development stage of the East Rockingham Waste to Energy project, and how they have been overcome.
Land zoning is a very important factor in site selection. Where possible waste to energy projects should be located in Heavy Industrial Zones
- Ensure the site has adequate buffers to residential zones and sensitive receptors, such as schools
- A minimum buffer of 500m should be sought to ensure no real or perceived impacts on sensitive receptors
- The site needs good road access for delivery of waste (to allow access to site without impacting residential areas)
- The site needs good access to the power network to allow export of power (economic and technically feasible grid connection)
- Ideally the site is located near industries that could utilize steam (paper mill, industrial laundry)