Solar PV R&DProject Solar Analytics: Monitoring for Better Energy Outcomes
This report shares lessons learnt from Solar Analytics’ Monitoring for Better Energy Outcomes project.
The key learnings from this project are:
- Active performance monitoring increased solar generation by 14% (or an average of $132 pa for
residential customers) due to faster fault detection and rectification.
- By monitoring both solar generation and electricity consumption, residential customers also save up to $350 pa by shifting their loads to times of high solar generation.
- Time of use electricity tariff structures can generate savings of $200 pa for solar customers
- Buying solar is confusing, with consumers struggling to compare between solar offers and often deciding on price alone. This makes presenting the value of solar monitoring challenging at the point of sale due the amount of new information being presented.
- High quality near real-time data from solar system monitoring provides electricity networks with critical information to better manage our electricity networks.