System security and reliabilityProject United Energy Voltage Controlled Frequency Regulation System
This document is the Final Project Performance Report for the United Energy Voltage Controlled Frequency Regulation System. The project demonstrates a new capability to deliver delayed contingency Frequency Control Ancillary Services (FCAS) for the National Electricity Market (NEM).
This document is the Final Project Performance Report for the United Energy (UE) Voltage-Controlled Frequency Regulation System (VCFRS, the project). The project demonstrates a new capability to deliver delayed contingency FCAS services for the NEM under ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Programme (2019/ARP007). It fulfils an obligation under the Knowledge Sharing Plan to provide an update on the status of delivery of the project including sharing of results and lessons learnt.
This report documents the summary of the previous milestone reports and also major achievements of the project since the release of the last milestone report. These achievements include completion of:-
- Improved operation of the VCFRS scheme due to implementation of the new interface between SCADA and NAP, ICCP.
- Development and verification of the proposed method to calculate baselines in order to determine the precise amount of FCAS services.
- Updated states of issues and their resolutions identified during installation and operation of the VCFRS.
- Investigation on the feasibility of registering the technology in the ancillary services market in consultation with AEMO deploying the proposed baseline calculation to assist resolution of the technical and non-technical requirements.
- Knowledge sharing activities relating to the findings of the project during the period.
- Further assessment of the business case revenue and cost streams associated with the technology reinforcing the commercial need for FCAS to be traded by UE at times of high-price events (i.e. significant under-frequency occurrences).