The Calix Zero Emissions Steel Technology (ZESTY) pre-FEED / FEED Study will deliver a pre-Front-End Engineering and Design (pre-FEED) and FEED study for a 30,000 tonnes per annum hydrogen-direct reduced iron (H-DRI) commercial demonstration plant using Calix’s Zero Emissions Steel Technology (ZESTY) process.
The ZESTY process uses hydrogen to reduce iron ore within Calix’s renewable powered electric Calix Flash Calciner (e-CFC). Calix’s unique indirect heating method aims to deliver efficient electrification of iron ore processing, minimise the amount of hydrogen required in the production process compared to competing technologies and remove the need for ore pelletisation pre-processing.
The ZESTY development pathway can be broken down into 4 phases.
- Lab study (complete)
- Pilot plant (complete)
- Pre-FEED & FEED study (this Project)
- Demonstration Plant (subsequent to the Project)
In Phase 1, Calix conducted a lab study with Imperial College, London to determine the theoretical validity of the technology. In Phase 2, the existing e-CFC at Calix’s Bacchus Marsh Pilot plant in Victoria was modified. The modified facility tested the ZESTY process using various ores to produce H-DRI at an equivalent throughput rate of 2,000 tonnes per annum. The Project represents Phase 3 of the ZESTY development pathway and will inform the final investment decision to proceed or not proceed with Phase 4.
The Project represents Phase 3 of the ZESTY development pathway for a H-DRI demonstration plant, based on the e-CFC technology, which includes the provision of technical, commercial, and regulatory workstream analysis and deliverables. Knowledge sharing outputs of the project include:
- a Pre-FEED Study / Basis of Design Report;
- a Pilot Plant Study Report; and
- a FEED Study and Final Report.
The FEED study will produce a budget estimate of ± 25% capital costs for the demonstration plant.
The objectives for the Project will be achieved through the following Outcomes:
- Improvement in technical readiness &commercial readiness of an alternative H-DRI technology;
- Increased knowledge relevant to H-DRI technologies;
- Reduction in or removal of barrier to renewable energy uptake through providing a pathway for H-DRI processing of Pilbara iron ore fines without requiring pelletisation;
- Support Calix’s FID for a demonstration scale plant to trial the ZESTY technology.