South Australian Centre for Geothermal Energy Research (SACGER) and the University of AdelaideLocation
Adelaide, South AustraliaARENA Program
CSIRO, South Australian Department of State Development (formerly DMITRE), Geodynamics Ltd, Raya Group Ltd (Formerly Panax Geothermal Ltd), South Australian MuseumThis geothermal project was completed on 23 December 2014.
The Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources project analysed the only two geothermal wells drilled in Hot Sedimentary Aquifer reservoirs in Australia to evaluate why the flow of fluid was significantly less than expected.
The need to accurately predict the behaviour of fluid passing through rock before drilling a geothermal well is one of the most significant technical challenges confronting the industry in Australia.
The Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources project analysed the only two geothermal wells drilled in Hot Sedimentary Aquifer (HSA) reservoirs in Australia (Celsius-1 and Salamander-1) to evaluate why the flow of production fluid was significantly less than expected.
The project was split into three separate programs. The project aimed to:
- develop a method for assessing the quality of HSA reservoirs using the results of the research into Celsius-1 and Salamander-1
- develop ways to reduce and repair damage to rock formations caused by drilling
- use the outcomes of the research to develop procedures for future HSA geothermal well drilling that minimise damage
- develop a software tool to aid geothermal developers to better understand geothermal reservoirs by estimating the contribution to overall well productivity from each individual section of the well column
- improve collaboration between the research community, government and the geothermal industry through data collection and knowledge sharing activities
- build the skills of the Australian geothermal energy industry for HSA geothermal resources drilled in Australia.
Report: Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources – Program 3
This report will take the lessons learnt throughout the rest of this study to develop a workflow for assessing geothermal reservoir quality ahead of drilling and protocols for HSA geothermal well drilling.Read the report
Report: Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources – Program 2
This report details the evaluation of formation damage to each well from either drilling or production.Read the report
Report: Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources – Program 1
The Reservoir Quality in Sedimentary Geothermal Resources study is comprised of three programs relating to the “failure analysis” of Hot Sedimentary Aquifer (HSA) geothermal exploration wells Salamander 1, drilled in the Otway Basin, and Celsius 1, drilled in the Cooper-Eromanga Basin.Read the report
The development of a reliable tool for accurate, pre-drilling predictions of geothermal energy reservoir characteristics could lead to a significant improvement in geothermal energy exploration and development.
The knowledge developed during the project could also have major implications for the viability of HSA geothermal reservoirs and the geothermal potential of sedimentary basins in Australia.