- 1 Step 1 - Read the program guidelines
- 2 Step 2: Observe the key dates
- 3 Step 3: Submit your Expression of Interest
In the May 2023 Federal Budget, the Australian Government announced it would invest up to $2 billion in the Hydrogen Headstart Program, to fund large-scale hydrogen production projects to accelerate development of Australia’s hydrogen industry, catalyse clean energy industries and help Australia connect to new global hydrogen supply chains to take advantage of hydrogen’s immense jobs and investment potential.
Following this announcement, ARENA, in collaboration with the Department of Climate Change, Energy, Environment and Water (DCCEEW), undertook a design and consultation process for the Program. The feedback from this consultation process has informed the final parameters of the Program, documented within the Program Guidelines.
On 10 October 2023, we announced the opening of the Expression of Interest (EOI) stage of the Program.
In July 2023, the Consultation Paper for the Program was published, which included a number of questions on which stakeholder feedback was sought. Throughout July 2023, ARENA and DCCEEW hosted in person consultation forums in Sydney and Perth, as well as an information webinar, summarising the proposed specifications for the Program.
The consultation period closed in August 2023. Over 100 written submissions were received in response to the Consultation Paper, with feedback provided from a range of stakeholders. This feedback was reviewed and informed the design of the final Program parameters.
How it works
Links to the key documents for the Program are provided below:
- Hydrogen Headstart Program Guidelines [PDF 942KB]
- Hydrogen Headstart Program Frequently Asked Questions (EOI Stage) [PDF 707KB]
The Program Guidelines (the Guidelines) detail the competitive process we will use to assess projects under the Program. Further clarification on elements within the Guidelines is provided in the Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document.
Applicants should review the key documents above before submitting an application for the Program.
Public information sessions/webinars
A public webinar was held on 16 October 2023. A recording of the webinar and slides that were presented can be found below:
- Hydrogen Headstart Information Webinar Recording
- Hydrogen Headstart Information Webinar Slides [PDF 2MB]
Key dates for the Program are outlined below. For more details, refer to the Program Guidelines.
- EOI Open Date: 10 October 2023
- EOI Due Date: 10 November 2023, at 5:00 PM (AEDT)
The dates represent the current timetable for the Program. ARENA retains the right to amend proposed timelines or any element of the Program at its discretion.
Completing your application
To apply to the Program, Applicants are required to complete an online application form via ARENANet.
EOI applications are now open. Applications must be submitted by the EOI Due Date and include the information specified within Appendix B of the Program Guidelines.
How to apply
3.1 Navigate to and create an account within the ARENANet Portal.
3.2 Select ‘Hydrogen Headstart – Expression of Interest’ from the program options when commencing your application.
3.3 Complete the online form and ensure all key attachments are included. These include:
- Project Plan
- Financial model
- Completed Project Budget and Sources and Uses spreadsheet (template below)
- All other ‘key attachments’ as specified within Appendix B of the Program Guidelines
- Hydrogen Headstart – Guidelines [PDF 942KB]
- Hydrogen Headstart – EOI FAQs [PDF 707KB]
- Hydrogen Headstart Knowledge Sharing Plan Template [DOCX 57KB]
- Hydrogen Headstart – Project Budget and Sources and Uses Template [XLSX 28KB]
Have a question? Refer to the FAQ document below in the first instance. If your question is not answered in this document, email email@example.com. ARENA may update the FAQ document as the Program progresses.
Please note that as the Program is a competitive process, we are unable to provide applicants with guidance on EOI submissions.