- Lead Organisation
Rural Industries Research and Development CorporationLocation
Canberra, Australian Capital TerritoryARENA Program
16 December 2015
30 August 2021
- Project PartnersUniversity of the Sunshine Coast, Sustainability Victoria, Renewables SA, Queensland University of Technology, Department of State Growth, Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation, Department of Primary Industries, Department of Agriculture and Food (WA)This renewables project was completed on 30 August 2021.
The Australian Biomass for Bioenergy Assessment Project recognises that previous biomass resource mapping has either been undertaken at a regionally specific scale or is incomplete. The lack of reliable information on biomass feedstocks is a significant roadblock to the development of bioenergy projects across Australia.
This project has supported development of the bioenergy network across Australia by:
- collecting and collating data on feedstock location and availability, and amalgamating the data on the Australian Renewable Energy Mapping Infrastructure (AREMI)
- adding biomass resources for bioenergy across Australia to the AREMI, which were previously not all mapped
- making geospatial data available to renewable energy project developers, policy makers, and other stakeholders, that complements existing related information, such as energy infrastructure, power utilities, population data and land use data
- raising the profile of bioenergy in state governments, with bioenergy now being well-represented in policy, setting a strong foundation for continued state-led bioenergy industry development activities.
The Australian Biomass for Bioenergy Assessment Project will see the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC) develop the first central and national source of biomass resources and include interactive tools to enable better access to information.
The Australian Biomass for Bioenergy Assessment Project outputs will include a detailed analysis of the types, volumes and locations of potential bioenergy feedstocks in each state.
RIRDC will work with states and territories to collect, collate and present information through the ARENA-supported Australian AREMI interface, a central source for renewable energy mapping data and information.
The Australian Biomass for Bioenergy Assessment Project will enable better links between biomass suppliers and end users, supporting local businesses to get more value from organic material destined for landfill, disposal or other low value uses by improving information access and quality.
The AREMI platform will enable RIRDC to geospatially map existing and projected biomass resource data alongside other parameters such as existing network and transport infrastructure, land use capability and demographic data.
Read more about bioenergy and energy from waste.
|Program Manager, RIRDC||Michael Beer|
Phone: +61 (02) 6923 6915
|Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia||Kim Brooksbank|
|Sustainability Victoria||Kelly Wickham|
|NSW Department of Primary Industries – Forest Science – Land and Natural Resources||Fabiano Ximenes|
|RenewablesSA, Department of State Development||Catherine Way|
|Queensland Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation||Phil Norman|
|Tasmanian Department of State Growth – Industry and Business Development||Martin Moroni|