The Business Renewables Centre Australia project will establish the first Business Renewables Centre in Australia (BRC-A) – an online resource centre and marketplace platform, supported by face-to-face events and training to increase renewable energy use within Australian organisations (particularly commercial and industrial energy users).
The project established the first Business Renewables Centre in Australia (BRC-A) – an online resource centre and marketplace platform, supported by events and training to facilitate Australian organisations (particularly commercial and industrial energy users) to increase their utilisation of renewable energy through Corporate Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs).
The project met and exceeded all project milestones over the 3-year period, including:
- the delivery of events, training, webinars and briefings to more than 5,500 industry stakeholders
- collective contracting of 1.8 GW of renewable energy by energy buyer members
- supporting 3.9 GW of renewable energy projects
- industry membership numbers well in excess of project milestones/expectations (220+ member organisations in Oct 2021).
BRC-A also developed and made available 18 tools and resources providing industry guidance on a wide range of topics relating to corporate renewable PPAs, as well as a public website and members portal, including a roadmap and marketplace platform, and three State of the Market reports (delivered annually across the initiative).
- Project reports
- ARENA media release 16/10/18
- ARENA Insights Spotlight: Corporations Making the Shift to Renewables
- Business Renewables Centre Australia Final Report
- Corporate Renewable Power Purchase Agreements in Australia – State of the Market 2019
- Presentation: Renewable Energy for Business Simplified
- Presentation: Renewable Energy for Business Simplified Nov 2019
- Presentation: Renewable Energy for Business, Simplified
- State of the Market Report 2021
How the Project Works
The Business Renewables Centre Australia project partners – Climate-KIC Australia, WWF Australia and the Institute of Sustainable Futures, University of Technology Sydney – bring global networks, technical and industry expertise and an established community to the project. The BRC-A will build on WWF Australia’s Renewable Energy Buyers Forum, which brings together more than 200 companies, institutions, state and local governments, renewable energy project developers and professional service providers. The project will deliver a number of resources including templates and guides, a marketplace platform, training and industry events to support buyers and developers with negotiating and executing power purchase agreements (PPAs). Read more about renewables for industry.
Area of Innovation
The BRC-A is the first Australian online resource centre and marketplace platform for corporate renewables PPAs. The project partners have established a collaboration agreement with the Rocky Mountain Institute’s Business Renewables Center (BRC) in the United States to licence its brand and adapt its tools and resources for the Australian market. The BRC is a proven model, which has played a critical role in unlocking the corporate PPA market in the US. The aim of the BRC-A is to do the same in Australia.
There is a growing desire among Australian organisations to utilise more renewable energy. The project intends to overcome the lack of resources and awareness of corporate renewable PPAs, which is seen as a current barrier. The BRC‑A’s online resources will help organisations understand and procure renewable energy PPAs and will be free to access for the first year. The goal of the project is to help Australian organisations procure 1 GW of renewable energy by 2022 and 5 GW by 2030.
How an ARENA-backed business collaboration far exceeded its goals, and the lessons it learnt along the way.
Nearly 800 MW of renewable electricity generation was contracted in 2021.