Frasers Property Australia will build 51 medium density energy efficient homes to demonstrate the feasibility of achieving zero energy demand homes at scale.
Net Zero Energy Demand homes have the potential to reduce energy costs for homeowners and residents while also reducing emissions through deploying energy efficiency, demand management and renewable energy in new build houses. While this needs to be done rapidly it also needs to be done in a measured way that does not compromise the grid, nor put substantial additional pressures on housing affordability. At the same time residential customers need support in understanding the potential value of Net Zero Energy Demand (NZED) Housing. This project aims to address these challenges through educating customers and delivering NZED homes.
To achieve this, Frasers Property Australia will deliver 51 Net Zero Energy Demand homes utilising a mix of on-site renewable technologies, electrification and energy efficiency measures These homes will be monitored for two years to determine their performance compared to business as usual. A targeted messaging and education campaign will support this, not just during the sales campaign, but during the monitoring period to gather quantitative and qualitative data to demonstrate the overall customer value of NZED homes.
This project aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- establish a marketing and communications guideline to successfully market NZED homes
- demonstrate reduced peak demand and total consumption for grid energy in residential housing
- quantify the actual energy performance of the NZED homes and reduced cost of living for residents (compared to industry business as usual or non-NZED homes
- quantify the energy performance of the Ground Source Heat Pump systems and reduced cost of living for residents (compared to business as usual)
- identify the indoor air quality performance of NZED homes (compared to business as usual)
- technical and commercial evidence base required to help establish the commercial merits of industry-wide adoption of technologies required to achieve NZED.