- Lead Organisation
University of SydneyLocation
Camperdown, New South WalesARENA Program
- Start Date
- Project PartnersAustralian National University, Macquarie University, University of New South Wales, Shenzhen Heiking PV Technology Pty Ltd
This project aims to demonstrate high efficiency triple-junction silicon (Si)-perovskite-perovskite solar cells and conduct techno-economic-analysis identifying research directions for cell design and material choice.
The performance of Si-perovskite tandems has rapidly increased from 14% (uncertified) in 2015 to 29% (certified) in 2020, surpassing the efficiency-record of single-junction-Si solar cells and approaching the 33% theoretical-limit-efficiency of single-junction-cells. It is likely that 3-junction Si-perovskite-perovskite tandems will follow a similar improvement rate if supported by research and development. Therefore, it is timely to embark on research for this technology which has a higher efficiency potential (~50%) appealing to the market’s appetite for higher-efficiency-product where a premium can be charged.
This project aims to:
- develop high performance bottom Si cell incorporating innovative contacting schemes and novel Si-perovskite interface strategies utilising polycrystalline-Si passivated tunnel-junction contacts
- develop low cost interfacing strategies for perovskite sub-cells such as metal oxide engineering with or without the use of indium-tin-oxide for two-terminal-configurations
- demonstrate high bandgap perovskite thin film and perovskite quantum dot solar cells that are efficient and stable as the top junction sub-cell
- carry out techno-economic analysis on possible Si-perovskite-perovskite tandem structures to identify cost drivers and suggest low cost alternatives to guide future research.
Expand existing and establish new research capacity for multi-junction tandems through this multi-centre research between project partners, which will generate quality research outcomes and increase the profile of Australian researchers for:
- high efficiency Si-perovskite-perovskite tandem with reduced toxicity and respectable durability
- high efficiency perovskite quantum dot cell demonstrations
- low-cost and high-performance integration approaches for monolithic tandem solar cells
- expertise on techno-economic analyses of various multi-junction tandem approaches guiding development efforts on minimising cost and optimising performance for more rapid progress towards commercialisation.