University of SydneyLocation
Camperdown, New South WalesARENA Program
Australian National University, Macquarie University, University of New South Wales, Shenzhen Heiking PV Technology Pty Ltd
This project aims to demonstrate high efficiency triple-junction silicon (Si)-perovskite-perovskite solar cells and conduct techno-economic-analysis identifying research directions for cell design and material choice.
The performance of Si-perovskite tandems has rapidly increased from 14% (uncertified) in 2015 to 29% (certified) in 2020, surpassing the efficiency-record of single-junction-Si solar cells and approaching the 33% theoretical-limit-efficiency of single-junction-cells. It is likely that 3-junction Si-perovskite-perovskite tandems will follow a similar improvement rate if supported by research and development. Therefore, it is timely to embark on research for this technology which has a higher efficiency potential (~50%) appealing to the market’s appetite for higher-efficiency-product where a premium can be charged.
This project aims to:
- develop high performance bottom Si cell incorporating innovative contacting schemes and novel Si-perovskite interface strategies utilising polycrystalline-Si passivated tunnel-junction contacts
- develop low cost interfacing strategies for perovskite sub-cells such as metal oxide engineering with or without the use of indium-tin-oxide for two-terminal-configurations
- demonstrate high bandgap perovskite thin film and perovskite quantum dot solar cells that are efficient and stable as the top junction sub-cell
- carry out techno-economic analysis on possible Si-perovskite-perovskite tandem structures to identify cost drivers and suggest low cost alternatives to guide future research.
Expand existing and establish new research capacity for multi-junction tandems through this multi-centre research between project partners, which will generate quality research outcomes and increase the profile of Australian researchers for:
- high efficiency Si-perovskite-perovskite tandem with reduced toxicity and respectable durability
- high efficiency perovskite quantum dot cell demonstrations
- low-cost and high-performance integration approaches for monolithic tandem solar cells
- expertise on techno-economic analyses of various multi-junction tandem approaches guiding development efforts on minimising cost and optimising performance for more rapid progress towards commercialisation.