- Lead Organisation
Icon Distribution Investments and Jemena Networks (ACT) (Evoenergy)Location
Greenway, Australian Capital TerritoryARENA Program
24 August 2021
15 January 2024
- Project PartnersEvoenergy, Australian National University, Zeppelin Bend, ACT Government - Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate
The Project Converge ACT Distributed Energy Resources Demonstration Pilot aims to demonstrate new distributed energy resources (DER) orchestration capabilities known as ‘Shaped Operating Envelopes’ which will allow Distribution Network Service Providers (DNSPs) to improve network congestion management, minimise network expenditure and improve DER market bidding into energy and ancillary service markets.
Project Converge ACT Distributed Energy Resources Demonstration Pilot acknowledges that a network operating at its physical or operational limits is said to be congested because it cannot accommodate additional flows of energy. When congestion occurs within the distribution network, the ability to incorporate DER while also supporting energy reliability and energy security is diminished. New technology capabilities, regulations and market mechanisms are necessary to support the integration and participation of DER in markets for energy and ancillary services without risking congestion.
Project Converge will demonstrate how DER can provide network ancillary services while also bidding into energy markets. These capabilities are expected to allow DER to alleviate grid constraints caused by power quality or physical network constraints and thereby unlock further network capacity without the need for additional network investment.
Project Converge will:
- design and develop a system to support the integration of higher penetrations of DER into the ACT distribution network
- deploy new software systems to demonstrate the Shaped Operating Envelope concept for DER
- integrate hardware, software and systems to pilot capabilities with over 1,000 existing customer-owned DER assets
- deliver open-source, royalty free designs and models which can be adopted by other Australian DNSPs
- deliver a range of knowledge sharing reports and webinars to share lessons with industry.
Project Converge will:
- demonstrate that Shaped Operating Envelopes can extend dynamic operating envelopes to incorporate locally delivered network services, by use of non-network DER solutions, procured through a real-time investment decision making process
- demonstrate that dynamic network services procured from DER assets can potentially minimise or defer network augmentation costs
- demonstrate that network capacity can be maximised to enable DER to participate in energy and ancillary services markets
- identify an approach for DER congestion management and market bidding to inform future regulatory and market changes.