- Lead Organisation
Icon Retail Investments LimitedAGL ACT Retail Investments (trading as ActewAGL Retail)Location
Civic, Australian Capital TerritoryARENA Program
16 June 2020
30 March 2023
- Project PartnersAustralian National University, The ACT Government, SG Fleet Australia, JET Charge, Nissan Motor Co. (Australia), Icon Distribution Investments Limited, Jemena Networks (ACT) (as Evoenergy)This EV project was completed on 30 March 2023.
The Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services project seeks to unlock the full economic and grid benefits of vehicle-to-grid (V2G) services in Australia.
The Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services project acknowledges that electric vehicles (EVs) are transforming Australia’s energy system by increasing the amount of distributed energy storage connected to the electricity grid. Charging EVs, particularly through fast-charging stations, poses a significant challenge for electricity distribution networks.
Newly available EVs that support V2G functionalities (i.e. communicate with the electricity grid) create opportunities for EVs to enhance grid resilience and energy reliability and security. This will provide benefits for customers, network operators, systems operators, retailers, businesses, governments and institutions that manage the National Electricity Market (NEM). To date, V2G technologies and services have been largely non-existent in the Australian market, though the benefits have been demonstrated in small trials internationally.
- Project reports
- ARENA media release 08/07/20
- Assessment of FCAS Capabilities of a V2G Capable EV Charger – A Case Study
- Case Study Grid Performance of a V2G Capable EV Charger
- Creating Value from V2G – Business Model Report
- Electric Vehicles and The Grid: Analysis, Gaps and Recommendations
- Insights Spotlight: International Review of Vehicle to Grid Technology
- Modelling V2G Simulation – A Study of the Economic and Technical Value Proposition
- Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services Crossing Sectors Report
- Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services Final Social Report
- Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services Lessons learnt 1
- Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services Lessons Learnt 2
- REVS Interim Social Report
- The A–Z of V2G
- Name: Todd Eagles, Group Manager Product & Strategic Energy Deployments
- Email: Todd.Eagles@actewagl.com.au
- Phone: +61 (02) 6248 3116
The Realising Electric Vehicle-to-Grid Services project will install 51 bi-directional chargers and deploy a fleet of 51 V2G capable vehicles in the ACT. A system will monitor charger and vehicle availability, as well as a range of electrical parameters, which will enable the delivery of market contingency Frequency Control Ancillary Services (FCAS) at a fleet scale.
The project aims to demonstrate V2G technology providing contingency FCAS to the NEM, complemented with a holistic roadmap for the mass deployment of the full value stack of V2G services. This will lead to new V2G enabled service offerings for fleets and residential customers.
The project will unite stakeholders from federal and state governments, and the transport and electricity industries, in a working group that will align and accelerate the development of V2G capable EVs, chargers and services across Australia.
Your electric vehicle could do more than simply replace fossil fuel transport. It could help stabilise the entire electricity network and cut electricity bills.
After a cautious start, Australians are buying electric vehicles in growing numbers as manufacturers release more models to the Australian market.