- Lead Organisation
Origin Energy Eraring Pty LimitedLocation
New South WalesARENA Program
28 August 2018
12 September 2020
- Project PartnersNoneThis pumped hydro project was completed on 12 September 2020.
The Shoalhaven Pumped Hydro Energy Storage (PHES) feasibility study will explore the technical and commercial feasibility of expanding the existing Shoalhaven PHES Scheme.
How the project works
The Shoalhaven Pumped Hydro Expansion Feasibility Study scheme will be approached by Origin Energy in two stages:
- Stage 1 (completed) identified a preferred option for expanding the scheme
- Stage 2 is funded by ARENA and will explore the technical and commercial feasibility of the preferred option, which will include determining the final design and capital costs and may lead to a final investment decision.
Area of innovation
As the economy decarbonises and as baseload coal generation retires, more intermittent energy generation (such as wind and solar) will enter the market. This creates the need for increased sources of dispatchable energy generation such as pumped hydro, as well as the need for large-scale energy storage.
This project consists of:
- Name: Mary Dullard, Head of Wholesale Development
- Email: Mary.Dullard@originenergy.com.au
Stage two of the project will determine whether the expansion of the PHES Scheme is feasible. Should the scheme be expanded it will provide increased reliable renewable energy.
How could pumped hydro energy storage power our future?
Reservoirs of water are poised to play a key role storing renewable energy to bolster the grid.
Hydro energy power station aims to double capacity
Origin’s Shoalhaven Pumped hydro energy power station is a quiet achiever nestled in the NSW Southern Highlands 150kms south of Sydney.