ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Program supports a broad range of development, demonstration and pre-commercial deployment projects that can deliver affordable and reliable renewable energy for Australian families and businesses.
On this page –
How to submit a project proposal
1. Read the program guidelines and investment focus areas
|Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines
Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines (PDF 2MB) (DOCX 226KB)
The Advancing Renewable Program is continuously open for applications that address our Investment Priorities. While ARENA currently welcomes applications in the specific areas, please note that applicants are also invited to submit applications that fall outside these specific areas.
|Investment focus areas
Investment Plan (PDF 3MB) Where we invest information page
We are looking for the best funding priorities that align with our four investment priorities, which form part of the merit assessment for our funding programs.
2. Contact ARENA to discuss your proposal
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Call 1800 804 847
3. Register and submit your proposal
Use these documents to assist with your proposal
- Returnable Schedule (PDF 422KB) | (DOCX 245KB)
- Budget and Funding Sources form (XLSX 51KB) | (PDF 48KB)
- Compliance table template (PDF 66KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- Declaration of Compliance for Construction Activity template (PDF 118KB) | (DOCX 98KB)
- Intellectual Property Management Plan template (PDF 79KB) | (DOCX 57KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan template (PDF 380KB) | (DOCX 244KB)
- Risk Management Plan template (PDF 187KB) | (DOCX 78KB)
- ARENA Variation Policy (PDF 89KB) | (DOCX 65KB)
- Estimating costs of electricity (PDF 161KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- Technology Readiness Level (PDF 150KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- ARENA Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Method and Guidance (Final Draft, PDF 1MB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan guidance (PDF 114KB)
- More information – Life cycle assessment guidelines for bioenergy projects
Current funding opportunities
In addition to submitting a proposal under this program, ARENA also offers accepts applications for specific project opportunities. Click the opportunities below to read more and apply.
ARENA is seeking demonstration projects that provide a proof-of-concept of one or more power system services in the context of increasing shares of renewable energy.
ARENA is allocating up to $10 million of funding towards activities focused on 5-minute ahead self-forecasting for wind and solar farms operating in the National Electricity Market (NEM).
DER can include behind the meter renewable and non-renewable generation, energy storage, electric vehicles and other controllable loads as well as enabling technologies (eg smart meters, inverters, device controllers and data services).
Past funding opportunities
ARENA and the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) have awarded funding to ten pilot projects under the demand response initiative to manage electricity supply during extreme peaks.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedPrioritising financial support for flexible capacity and large-scale energy storage.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedAssess the life cycle impacts of bioenergy (including biofuel) projects, with a view to reviewing and expanding this scope to encompass other renewable energy technologies in the ARENA portfolio in due courseClassification: Funding roundAvailable: Closed