ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Program supports a broad range of development, demonstration and pre-commercial deployment projects that can deliver affordable and reliable renewable energy for Australian families and businesses.
On this page –
How to apply for funding
1. Read the program guidelines and investment focus areas
|Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines
Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines (PDF 2MB) (DOCX 226KB)
The Advancing Renewable Program is continuously open for applications that address our Investment Priorities. While ARENA currently welcomes applications in the specific areas, please note that applicants are also invited to submit applications that fall outside these specific areas.
|Investment focus areas
Investment Plan (PDF 3MB) Where we invest information page
We are looking for the best funding priorities that align with our four investment priorities, which form part of the merit assessment for our funding programs.
2. Complete the Eligibility and Alignment Tool
If you have not worked with ARENA before, please complete the Eligibility and Alignment Tool to help guide your future engagement.
This five-minute assessment will let you know if you are eligible to apply for ARENA funding, and if your proposed project aligns with ARENA’s Investment Priorities and ARP outcomes.
3. Register and submit your proposal
Once you have completed the Eligibility and Alignment Tool, an ARENA representative will contact you to discuss your proposal and next steps in the application process.
The application and assessment process typically consists of two stages: an Expression of Interest (EOI) stage and a Full Application stage.
Expressions of Interest
Applicants submitting an Expression of Interest are required to fill in an online application form and submit a project plan (of no more than 20 pages). No other documents – unless otherwise agreed with ARENA – are required.
Please ensure you have spoken with an ARENA representative before submitting your Expression of Interest.
Applicants submitting a full application must complete an online application and submit the following attachments:
- Compliance table template (PDF 66KB) | (DOCX 114KB) Please review ARENA’s Funding Agreement Template, which is the contract entered into with ARENA. Clauses or details you do not agree with should be recorded in the Compliance Table template. Submit a blank document with your full application if you agree with all terms.
- Intellectual Property Management Plan template (PDF 79KB) | (DOCX 57KB)This document contains details on the intellectual property required to complete your activity including ownership, access and management. Submit this with your full application.
The following three forms are not required for application forms created 18 Feb 2019 onwards
- Budget and Funding Sources form (XLSX 51KB) | (PDF 48KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan template (PDF 380KB) | (DOCX 244KB)
- Risk Management Plan template (PDF 187KB) | (DOCX 78KB)
- Advanced Renewables Funding Agreement Template (PDF 1MB) (DOCX 344KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan guidance (PDF 114KB) This provides guidance on ARENA’s Knowledge Sharing requirements and assists applicants to complete the Knowledge Sharing section of the online application form.
- Knowledge Sharing Costings Table (PDF 128KB) This document helps applicants to calculate the amount of funds required to complete ARENA’s required Knowledge Sharing activities for incorporation into the Activity budget.
Past funding opportunities
ARENA is seeking demonstration projects that provide a proof-of-concept of one or more power system services in the context of increasing shares of renewable energy.Classification: AnnouncementAvailable: ClosedARENA is allocating up to $10 million of funding towards activities focused on 5-minute ahead self-forecasting for wind and solar farms operating in the National Electricity Market (NEM).Classification: RoundAvailable: ClosedARENA is allocating up to $12.5 million funding for pilot projects and studies to integrate distributed energy resources (DER) into the electricity system.Classification: RoundAvailable: ClosedARENA and the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) have awarded funding to ten pilot projects under the demand response initiative to manage electricity supply during extreme peaks.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedPrioritising financial support for flexible capacity and large-scale energy storage.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedAssess the life cycle impacts of bioenergy (including biofuel) projects, with a view to reviewing and expanding this scope to encompass other renewable energy technologies in the ARENA portfolio in due course.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: Closed