ARENA’s Advancing Renewables Program supports a broad range of development, demonstration and pre-commercial deployment projects that can deliver affordable and reliable renewable energy for Australian families and businesses.
On this page –
How to submit a project proposal
1. Read the program guidelines and investment focus areas
|Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines
Advancing Renewables Program Guidelines (PDF 2MB) (DOCX 226KB)
The Advancing Renewable Program is continuously open for applications that address our Investment Priorities. While ARENA currently welcomes applications in the specific areas, please note that applicants are also invited to submit applications that fall outside these specific areas.
|Investment focus areas
Investment Plan (PDF 3MB) Where we invest information page
We are looking for the best funding priorities that align with our four investment priorities, which form part of the merit assessment for our funding programs.
2. Contact ARENA to discuss your proposal
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Call 1800 804 847
3. Register and submit your proposal
In an effort to enhance the application process, ARENA has introduced new application forms for the Advancing Renewables Program from 18 February 2019.
Significant improvements have been made to these forms, including:
- pre-populating organisational details based on ABN provided
- pre-populating information between the EOI application and full application
- new, user friendly budget tables
- new navigation menu to illustrate progress through the form
- form logic that only display fields required based upon previous answers
- reduction of mandatory attachments required (for full applications).
All other aspects of the application process remain the same.
If you are concerned about an existing application or have any questions please contact your Business Development and Transactions client manager. If you have not been assigned a client manager please contact email@example.com
- Returnable Schedule (PDF 422KB) | (DOCX 245KB)
- Compliance table template (PDF 66KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- Declaration of Compliance for Construction Activity template (PDF 118KB) | (DOCX 98KB)
- Intellectual Property Management Plan template (PDF 79KB) | (DOCX 57KB)
The following three forms are not required for application forms created 18 Feb 2019 onwards
- Budget and Funding Sources form (XLSX 51KB) | (PDF 48KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan template (PDF 380KB) | (DOCX 244KB)
- Risk Management Plan template (PDF 187KB) | (DOCX 78KB)
- ARENA Variation Policy (PDF 89KB) | (DOCX 65KB)
- Estimating costs of electricity (PDF 161KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- Technology Readiness Level (PDF 150KB) | (DOCX 114KB)
- ARENA Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Method and Guidance Final Draft, (PDF 1MB)
- Knowledge Sharing Plan guidance (PDF 114KB)
- Knowledge Sharing Costings Table (PDF 128KB)
- User Guide – Expression of Interest Application Form (Available shortly)
- User Guide – Full Application Form (Available shortly)
- More information – Life cycle assessment guidelines for bioenergy projects
Past funding opportunities
ARENA is seeking demonstration projects that provide a proof-of-concept of one or more power system services in the context of increasing shares of renewable energy.Classification: AnnouncementAvailable: ClosedARENA is allocating up to $10 million of funding towards activities focused on 5-minute ahead self-forecasting for wind and solar farms operating in the National Electricity Market (NEM).Classification: RoundAvailable: ClosedDER can include behind the meter renewable and non-renewable generation, energy storage, electric vehicles and other controllable loads as well as enabling technologies (eg smart meters, inverters, device controllers and data services).Classification: RoundAvailable: ClosedARENA and the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) have awarded funding to ten pilot projects under the demand response initiative to manage electricity supply during extreme peaks.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedPrioritising financial support for flexible capacity and large-scale energy storage.Classification: Funding roundAvailable: ClosedAssess the life cycle impacts of bioenergy (including biofuel) projects, with a view to reviewing and expanding this scope to encompass other renewable energy technologies in the ARENA portfolio in due courseClassification: Funding roundAvailable: Closed